This project was supported by NSF grant IIS-0307072: Efficient View-Design Algorithms to Achieve Near-Optimal Performance of Sets of
Start Date: September 15, 2003
Expired: August 31, 2007
Investigator: Rada Y. Chirkova
Sponsor: North Carolina State University
Lower Level Leazar Hall
Raleigh, NC 27695-7514 919/515-2444
Graduate students who have worked on the project
- Zohreh Asgharzadeh Talebi (supported by the grant, NCSU Ph.D. student advised by Dr. Yahya Fathi and the PI 2004-2010, Ph.D. Spring 2010)
- Gang Gou (supported by the grant, NCSU Ph.D. student advised by the PI 2005-2008, Ph.D. Fall 2008)
- Michael W. Martin (NCSU Ph.D. May 2007)
- Andrew Frick (past NCSU M.Sc. student, graduated in 2007)
- Shalu Gupta (supported by the grant, NCSU M.Sc. July 2005)
- Kyoung-Hwa Kim (NCSU M.Sc. January 2005)
- Jingni Li (NCSU Masters degree in 2005)
- Charles Loftis (NCSU Masters degree in 2005)
- Project Description
- NSF reports
- Publications and Products (for the texts of the publications please see http://dbgroup.ncsu.edu/?page_id=30 and the PI’s DBLP entry):
- Martin, M.W., and Chirkova, R., “Implementing Real Time OLAP with MDDC (Multi-Dimensional Dynamic Clustering).”, Proceedings of the 2006 International Conference of the Information Resources Management Association (IRMA-2006), p. 666-667.
- Asgharzadeh Talebi, Z., Chirkova, R., and Fathi, Y., “Exact and Inexact Methods for Solving the Problem of View”, International Journal of Data Warehousing and Mining, submitted for publication (2007).
- Dongfeng Chen, Rada Chirkova, and Fereidoon Sadri, “Data Integration: Building Virtual Repositories of Scientific Data”, Proceedings of the International Conference on the Virtual Computing Initiative (ICVCI), vol. , (2007), p. 149.
- Foto Afrati, Rada Chirkova, Manolis Gergatsoulis, and Vassia Pavlaki, “View Selection for Real Conjunctive Queries”, Acta Informatica, vol. 44 (5) 2007, p. 289-321.
- Rada Chirkova, Chen Li, and Jia Li. Answering Queries Using Materialized Views with Minimum Size. In The VLDB Journal, vol. 15 (3) 2006, p. 191-210.
- Jingni Li, Zohreh Asgharzadeh Talebi, Rada Chirkova, and Yahya Fathi. A Formal Model for the Problem of View Selection for Aggregate Queries. In Proceedings of the Ninth East-European Conference on Advances in Databases and Information Systems (ADBIS), Tallinn, Estonia, September 2005, pp. 125-138.
- Filip Perich, Anupam Joshi, and Rada Chirkova. Data Management for Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks. In “Enabling Technologies for Wireless e-Business Applications”, W. Kou and Y. Yesha, editors, Springer, 2006, pp. 132-171.
- Foto Afrati, Rada Chirkova, Manolis Gergatsoulis, and Vassia Pavlaki. Designing Views to Efficiently Answer Real SQL Queries. In Proceedings of the Symposium on Abstraction, Reformulation and Approximation, Edinburgh, Scotland, July 2005, pp. 383-397.
- Rada Chirkova and Michael R. Genesereth. Database Reformulation with Integrity Constraints. In Proceedings of the Logic and Computational Complexity Workshop, in conjunction with of the Logic in Computer Science Conference (LICS), Chicago, June 2005.
- Kyoung-hwa Kim and Rada Chirkova. View-Size Estimation in Self-Organizing Databases. In Proceedings of an International Advanced Database Conference (IADC), San Diego, CA, June 2005, pp. 80-84.
- Foto Afrati, Rada Chirkova, Shalu Gupta, and Charles Loftis. Designing and Using Views to Improve Performance of Aggregate Queries. In Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Database Systems for Advanced Applications, April 2005, pp. 548-554.
- Rada Chirkova, Shalu Gupta, Kyoung-Hwa Kim, and Simran Sandhu. Extensible Framework for Query-Perofrmance Enhancement by Tuning. Code downloads and documentation available (see end of this page), April 2005.
- Foto Afrati and Rada Chirkova. Selecting and Using Views to Compute Aggregate Queries. In Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Database Theory (ICDT-2005), Edinburgh, Scotland, January 2005, pp. 383-397.
- Rada Chirkova and Chen Li. Materializing Views with Minimal Size to Answer Queries. In Proceedings of the 22nd ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS-2003), pp. 38-48.
- Technical reports: for August 2005 through December 2007 (use search by PI’s last name) and for May 2004 through July 2005.
- Implementation project: